What are Porcelain Veneers?
View the Gallery
Offered by Houston cosmetic dentist Wayde Fawcett, DDS, porcelain Veneers are thin shells of ceramic material that are custom designed and crafted in a dental lab. They are bonded to the front surface of a tooth to help correct or improve smile imperfections. Dental veneers are translucent and extremely natural looking. Dental Veneers are categorized as Cosmetic Dentistry.
When should Porcelain Veneers be considered?
Porcelain dental veneers create teeth that are beautifully shaped, aligned and white. Dental veneers are used to close gaps between teeth or to restore and protect teeth that are worn, chipped or uneven. Porcelain dental veneers are also great for whitening teeth that have permanent stains, or teeth that have darkened naturally with age.
What causes teeth to become unattractive and require Porcelain Veneers?
Regardless of what caused the unattractive or imperfect teeth, porcelain veneers can solve most cosmetic dental issues such as:
- Missing Teeth
- Worn Down Enamel
- Crooked, Crowded Or Uneven Teeth
- Old Silver (Amalgam) Fillings
- Cracked Or Chipped Teeth
- Aged or Dull Teeth
- Stained or Discolored Teeth
- Excessive or Uneven Gums
- Dark Buckle Corners (these are the dark, cavernous spaces seen in the back corners of the mouth when a person smiles)
Benefits of Porcelain Dental Veneers
- Esthetically pleasing appearance
- Can improve the FUNCTION of teeth to correct problems such as chewing, occlusion (bite) and joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Gives a more youthful, healthier smile. Patients look 10 -15 years younger
- Protects the tooth surface
- Porcelain veneers are so thin, only a minimal amount of natural tooth must be altered to fit the veneer
- Veneers can be shade matched to make even the darkest teeth appear to be whiter and brighter
- Veneers are relatively strong and durable
- Veneers can last 10 to 15 years if properly maintained
- Porcelain Veneers have a natural tooth-like appearance
- Each veneer is individually designed and sculpted tooth by tooth for each patient
- Stain Resistant – custom made veneers resist stains from coffee, tea, red wine and cigarettes due to the advanced, high-tech materials used in making them
Maintenance of Veneers
Although our Houston porcelain veneers are relatively strong and durable, care must be taken to not damage or break the thin porcelain shells. If you have a tendency to grind your teeth, the doctor may recommend a protective guard to be worn while you sleep.
Veneers provide more strength when crushing an object than twisting or tearing. Therefore, just as with natural teeth, patients with veneers should avoid opening nut shells, chewing on bones, ice cubes or anything else that may cause chipping or cracking to occur.
Good oral hygiene will ensure your veneers stay strong and your gums stay healthy and provide you with a long-lasting, attractive smile. It is important to brush and floss regularly.
Things to Consider
Dental veneers are a beautiful, natural-looking solution for a Smile Makeover or for Dental Rehabilitation. Veneers can be expensive; however, people are usually more than happy with their results and feel that the benefits far outweigh the cost.
It is important to remember that dental rehabilitation is a complex process involving the skills and expertise of science and artistry and that the fees charged reflect the technical and artistic skills of the dentist performing the procedure; the type of material being used; and the technical skills of the ceramist making the veneers.
Dr. Fawcett has many years of clinical training and hands-on experience. He has been recognized for having the necessary skills to improve people’s smiles and impact their lives in a way many have only dream about.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
The porcelain veneers procedure is one of our most popular cosmetic dentistry solutions. Dr. Fawcett has helped numerous patients achieve their dream smile through the aesthetic enhancement. To help patients better understand what the procedure entails and how it can benefit their smile, Dr. Fawcett has provided answers to frequently asked questions.
Contact the Fawcett Center for Dentistry, P.A.
Please contact the Fawcett Center for Dentistry for more information on porcelain dental veneers, or to schedule an appointment with our cosmetic dentist.